IIFT EPGDIB Admission Experience

This article caters to the on campus one-and-a-half-year long Executive Post Graduate Diploma in International Business (EPGDIB) at Indian Institute Of Foreign Trade (IIFT) an opportunity for middle and senior level executives to refresh and upgrade their managerial skills without interrupting their professional activities. The Programme is specially designed to cater to those executives for whom leaving the job and the city is not a feasible option. 
I happened to sit for the admission process and would like to share my experience. Before I share my experience, I would like to share my answers which I wrote in the application form.

NOTE: Please do not copy the answers as they would do no good for you. IIFT interview panel is very experienced and would catch you within no time. So use these answers just as a REFERENCE.

--- Application Form ---

Q) Brief Description of Job Profile (50-100 Words)

4+ years of commercial performance and automation testing experience with Telecom domain knowledge in Design Integration and testing large scale IT projects. My main specialization is in Performance Testing, particularly in respect of HP/Mercury Performance test tools Loadrunner and test management tool Quality Center. I am highly motivated and committed professional combining strong organizational and planning skills with good interpersonal and communication skills. I am capable of designing and implementing manual and automated testing methodologies and frameworks, working with a team or on own initiative to meet deadlines consistently. I also demonstrate a high level of technical and business expertise combined with the ability to lead and motivate a team successfully so as to deliver quality requirements, goals and milestones of mission critical IT projects.

Q) What are your broad career objectives and how does IIFT fit in these objectives? (50 Words)

As an Engineer, I am looking forward to use my engineering skills with those of business management to expand my career prospects. Since I am seeking a new role within my present company so as to grow professionally; thus this course perfectly fits my requirement to build a string foundation in achieving business specific solutions.

Q) Describe any major achievement from your professional experience? (100 Words)

In my previous organization, across 3 years of professional experience I developed assets in helping one of global Telecom Company achieve a high level of quality in the way it develops and tests it systems. I was one of the key members in improving engineering practices across the whole platform with different wings of the delivery teams which reduced customer costs and increased re-usability.  For this contribution, I was awarded 'On The Spot' award for outstanding contribution to the Organization. During the past 1 year in my current organization, under challenging circumstances I was given the responsibility to develop solutions for broader range of testing practices. I developed solution accelerators which are used as frameworks to reduce manual work by 15%. This activity helped Global Bidding Team to prepare proposals for the new scope of work which eventually got approved. For this contribution, I was awarded for outstanding contribution in ADMS Practice for CSI ADM Unit.

Q) What do you think are your important strengths in the context of your application for admission to IIFT’s programme? (50 Words)

As a Software professional, I am able to analyze situations and give results which are fruitful to the organization. I consider my multi-tasking capabilities as a strength to perform multiple tasks concurrently without compromising on quality. In my current organization, I am a part of Testing Practices and Effort Estimations teams to deliver quality solutions to the clients.

Q) Any other information. Please give any other information (attach a separate sheet, if necessary) which you consider relevant for the Interview Board.

Apart from the ones which I already shared, I would like to share some more information related to:
Aspirations: I aspire to become a complete professional having both technical and management skills who can contribute to the society in a more meaningful manner. Therefore, this program provides the correct approach to evaluate quantitative and qualitative factors and help meet business solutions.

Achievements: Apart from the professional achievements stated, below are the academic honors I received:
- Cleared the 2nd Phase of International Assessment of Mathematics for Schools conducted by the University Of New South Wales, Australia in year 2000
- Merit holder of National Mathematics Olympiad in year 2000 and acquired 84% which was conducted by Delhi Association of Mathematics Teachers
- Selected in National Mathematics Olympiad in year 2002 

Social Cause: In my previous organization, I was a member of the social team which visited 'The Sunderbans' after the Aila Cyclone to help the people residing there and help them rebuild the area. Also, I am a regular member with the blood donation camps and donate blood at least twice a year.

--- Essay/GD/Interview ---
Date: 18-Nov-2012
Location: IIFT, Kolkata

Essay Topic: Global meltdown and its impact on India

GD Topic: Democracy is a hindrance to economic progress of India
Gave points regarding:
- Coalition Government Hindrances
- Government Policies on SEZ, FDI in Retail
- Corruption in India

Interview: 3 People on the Panel
Q1) Why you want to pursue this course?
- Gave few pointers

Q2) As I am QA Analyst, asked about Six Sigma?
- Spoke about Six Sigma
- Motorola
- Green Belt
- Black Belt

Q3) Present economic condition in China?
I actually goofed up on this question. I could have answered better.

Q4) Since I am from IT Industry, asked about SEZ's. Duties and Taxes related to SEZ's etc.
- I had a session on SEZ, so that helped me in giving the answers.

That’s it. I believe around 12-15 minutes of interview. The IIFT interview panel was very good. The interaction was more on a one to one basis with others reading and going through my application form.

Result Date: 27-Nov-2012
Verdict: Got Through :)

I still don't know how long this Executive course will take me in my career and I am gearing up for a multi-tasking role both as a Professional and Student. I plan to specialize in International Marketing and International Supply Chain Management (SCM) with in-depth knowledge on International Business.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sudeep,

Does IIFT provide any assistance when comes to campus placement for EPGDIM course ??

Happy Blog said...

Hi sudeep,

congrats on cracking the admission am an aspirant of the same and i am from mining industry with three years of experience...please suggest me whether this course if fruitful for me or not?
ashokmng@gmail.com

blogger_kazoo said...

hey Sudeep,
Can you please post your experiences at IIFT and life after....
curious to know about the batch demographics, teaching methodology, industry tours, connections, case studies, faculty involvement and your learning.
did you change job after that..?
share some experiences...

Anonymous said...

Hi Sudeep,

reading this post i assume you are almost done with your course by now . What about the placements ? From what i gather from other posts on internet , there is no such placement assistance provided . Is that true ?

Anonymous said...

They do not provide placement support for this course. IIFT makes it very clear whenever you ask them. I am pursuing this course and I found that inhouse programmes are better.

Unknown said...

pgpxindia.blogspot.in is another blog for good information for IIFT executive program seekers. Please do visit the blog and leave your comments

Sudeep Dutt said...

IIFT EPGDIB experience added. I believe it would resolve most of your queries

Rishu Gupta said...

Hi Sudeep Dutt,

I am on on the same edge you were and will to take this course up. Please let me know as compared to 2012 exp, is this course really fruitful. Or shall I go for any other.

Did it really help in industry? Or just the Alumni status was worth?

Or there is any other better? Please help and Guide :)

Thanks

Rishu
9958999792
rrishugupta@yahoo.com

Sudeep Dutt said...

@Rishu: It completely on what are your expectations out of the course.
1) If your expectation is Placements -> Not Recommended
2) If your expectation is Structured Business Knowledge -> Highly Recommended

You can read my detailed experience and let me know if you have any concerns.
http://endless-waves.blogspot.in/2015/02/iift-epgdib-experience.html

Rishu Gupta said...

Hi Suddep bhai, they called me up on this 5 August for interview. Please guide more apart from your post how to crack the exam. Also if any of your friend can share his experience of interview in 2013, 14 and 15 it will be really help.

Rishu
+91-9958999792

Unknown said...

Hello Sudeep: I am planning to apply for the IIFT EPGDIB program this year. I need some advise on the GD/Essay preparation. What was your preparation mantra for IIFT ? are there any forums/groups which provide some help ?

Regards,
Manish Bhasin
emmbhasin@gmail.com

Post a Comment